Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mourinho: My Chelsea Record Is 'Unbeatable'

RefreSh
    RefreSh
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 145
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Mourinho: My Chelsea Record Is 'Unbeatable' Empty Mourinho: My Chelsea Record Is 'Unbeatable'

Post by RefreSh Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Mourinho: My Chelsea Record Is 'Unbeatable' Xdt24l

Ahead of his weekend visit to Manchester to take in a game at Old Trafford, the 'Special One' has issued a typically modest claim...

Under Jose Mourinho, Chelsea won the Premier League title in back -to-back seasons in 2005 and 2006. The key to that success was their incredible unbeaten home run of 86 matches that only ended when Liverpool beat Luiz Felipe Scolari's team at Stamford Bridge earlier this season.

Mourinho, of course, was in charge for the lion's share of those 86 games and ahead of visiting England to scout Inter's Champions League opponents Manchester United this weekend, who take on his old club Chelsea at Old Trafford on Sunday, has reminded everyone of his greatness.

"When I was at Chelsea we always spoke about losing the record because any day it can happen. It was an incredible record and we could have lost it at any moment," Mourinho said earlier.

"At the time I said it was important that when we lost it, we had to think why we were so strong for such a long time. Now they need four or five consecutive results at home so that they get that feeling again.

"They won't feel unbeatable again because no one is unbeatable, but they will get the feeling they can do it again.

"I don't think they will get my record again, though, because that is unbeatable."

As for this weekend's match up between two of the major contenders for the Premier League crown, Mourinho feels that it will have a major impact on the destination of this year's title.

"Manchester United have two games in hand. If they can beat Chelsea they can be there and if they can win the two matches in hand they can be even closer.

"Chelsea can also do it, but this game is important because if someone wins the match it will give them the advantage in the second half of the season.

As for Liverpool, the Inter boss isn't surprised that at last they seemed to have managed to put together a serious challenge. Arsenal, though, are heading downhill, according to the outspoken Portuguese.

"It is not a surprise to see them there - they are three points ahead of Chelsea after 20 matches," he continued.

"For me it was a surprise when I was manager of Chelsea that they were 20 or 30 points behind us all the time and were out of the title race by December.

"They have a good manager, they have good players, they have good traditions and a good crowd.

"They have every possible chance of doing it. Arsenal have some great moments, they have some great matches, but they are always heading in the same direction.

"It looks like the same thing will happen to them again in the Premier League that happened when I was at Chelsea. It will be a Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United title race."

Regarding his old side, Mourinho acknowledged that it wasn't his team anymore, but still seemed pleased that they were doing relatively well under Scolari, and urged fans of the club to remain calm.

It is not my team any more - Anelka, Deco, Ivanovic and Bosingwa are not my players - but Chelsea are in a great position still. They are in the last 16 of the Champions League and anyone can win it in the last 16," he went on.

"They are second in the Premier League but it was not such a good result in the FA Cup against Southend. They have to play a second game but they still have the chance to go through.

"Yes, they lost to Burnley in the Carling Cup but they cannot win it every year - they won it twice in the last four years. It is not a drama."

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:11 pm