Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diego López, Santi Cazorla Hail Real Madrid Duo Robben & Casillas

FooSe
    FooSe
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Diego López, Santi Cazorla Hail Real Madrid Duo Robben & Casillas Empty Diego López, Santi Cazorla Hail Real Madrid Duo Robben & Casillas

Post by FooSe Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Diego López, Santi Cazorla Hail Real Madrid Duo Robben & Casillas
    The Yellow Submarine's goalkeeper and winger were full of praise for the two Los Blancos heroes who plotted their team’s downfall last night.
    »Comments (Cool Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us

galleria
    zoom

Villarreal were bitterly disappointed not to have secured at least a point at the Santiago Bernabéu following their 1-0 defeat to Real Madrid.

Arjen Robben’s wonder goal on the half-hour mark was enough to guide Los Blancos to victory, but it was Iker Casillas’ archetypal heroics in the Madrid goal which really sunk El Submarino as he pulled off a series of stunning reflex saves in the second half.

And Villarreal winger Santi Cazorla did not attempt to hide his praise for his rival.

“In the first half, Real Madrid were excellent and they played a very orderly game at a very high tempo,” he analysed after the match.

“We did not find our rhythm but we reacted in the second half and we were superior to them.

“It’s a shame that we could not beat Casillas, who saved his team with several very good stops.”

The 24-year-old then went on to assure that there was no awkwardness playing at the Bernabéu, even after all the transfer controversy during the summer linking him to the merengues.

“For me, it was normal stepping onto the Bernabéu pitch. It’s a stage where every footballer would love to play in, but I am saddened to leave there without any points because I believe we deserved something.”

Villarreal’s own goalkeeper, Diego López, meanwhile, also commended one of his direct adversaries on the night, Arjen Robben.

He said: “On a personal level, I conceded a goal to a very well-placed shot from Robben which was unstoppable.

“At a team level, I am disappointed that we were not able to score. Our domination in the second half did not serve us well.

“It’s always special to return to the Bernabéu as I get to meet up with a lot of old friends. But my joy is slightly dampened because of the result.”

Villarreal have now dropped out of the top six as they lie in seventh place, one point behind Deportivo La Coruña.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 4:19 pm