Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scolari rues missed chances

The End
    The End
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Scolari rues missed chances Empty Scolari rues missed chances

Post by The End Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 am

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari admitted he is concerned by his side's lack of composure in front of goal after they were taken to an FA Cup third round replay by Southend United.

The Blues face a tricky trip to Roots Hall in two weeks, after being held to a 1-1 draw by the League One side at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea led 1-0 courtesy of Salomon Kalou's first-half opener but, despite a front three of the Ivory Coast youngster, Joe Cole and Didier Drogba, they were unable to add to their score.

Southend then snatched a last-gasp draw after defender Peter Clarke sensationally equalised in the dying seconds.

"I need to teach to my players more concentration when they arrive in front of goal," said Scolari.

"Maybe it is confidence when they arrive in front of goal, maybe pressure. They need to score more goals and get more confidence.

"If they are not together, they would not create 15 chances. We played very well and created 15 chances but only one goal.

"Southend played hard and very spirited for a draw. They got a draw but only had one shot on goal.

"Carlo Cudicini didn't make one save. Not scoring is our mistake. All the players feel the same as me."

However, Scolari will not use his side's troubles in front of goal as a reason for entering the transfer market now that the window has reopened.

"We need to follow the same ideas - train, train, train," he added. "I don't need another striker. I have a good squad, good players.

"We are still in the cup. Other teams that lost today are out, we are not out.

"We were better than Southend but didn't score a second goal."

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:22 am