Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardiola Hails Barcelona Players, Not Just Messi

FooSe
    FooSe
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Guardiola Hails Barcelona Players, Not Just Messi Empty Guardiola Hails Barcelona Players, Not Just Messi

Post by FooSe Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:11 pm

The Blaugrana coach has remained humble after his side notched up another memorable win, sticking to his favourite line: “The players make me look good.”

There appears to be no stopping Barcelona this season as they continue on their rampage towards every title imaginable.

They easily cruised past Atlético Madrid last night in the first leg of the Copa del Rey last 16 at the Vicente Calderón. Pep Guardiola and his men were lavished with after yet another barnstorming performance, but the coach directed all the hoopla towards the players.

“I was merely chosen to train these players. They are the ones who make the coaching staff look good and they are the ones who make this club great,” he said during the post-match banter.

“My job is to ensure they never lower their standards and that they always have the same winning spirit. I’m just lucky to be able to lead this team.”

Guardiola also reserved commendation for his beaten opponents, who fought on gallantly with one man short.

“With this victory, we have taken a step forward to advance to the next round. But Atlético demonstrated their fighting spirit and scored despite having only ten men and it is necessary to be cautious for the second leg,” he stressed.

Finally, the 37-year-old trainer revealed that he did not say anything special to hat-trick hero Lionel Messi when he was substituted in the 80th minute to a standing ovation.

“I just shook his hand, just like I would with any player,” Guardiola concluded.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 10:09 pm