Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonny Evans Earns High Praise For Manchester United Performance

FooSe
    FooSe
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Jonny Evans Earns High Praise For Manchester United Performance Empty Jonny Evans Earns High Praise For Manchester United Performance

Post by FooSe Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 am

The youngster's display at Old Trafford today had his manager purring.

With Rio Ferdinand still missing with a back problem, there were probably some mutters of concern amongst the Manchester United faithful as to whether young Ulsterman Jonny Evans could step into the England centre-back's boots and play with the authority and confidence that such a big occasion as a game against Chelsea demands.

Evans proved that there was no need for any doubt this afternoon, as he produced a display of maturity and strength of which Ferdinand himself would have been proud, the Belfast-born youngster handling everything that Didier Drogba and his team-mates threw at him.

And his performance had his manager almost drooling with delight after the game.

"He was marvellous," United boss Sir Alex Ferguson told MUTV.

"For a young boy, 21 only a week ago, he was absolutely superb. His reading of the game, his use of the ball... he was a giant today like many of our players. I was very pleased for the boy."

Centre-back partner today Nemanja Vidic was also delighted with the young man, who has started four of the eight league games United have played since November without conceding a goal.

"I think the whole team was good, but I think Jonny did very well. We didn’t lose a goal, which for defenders is a great thing," said the Serb, who netted the Red Devils' first today with a header from a corner.

United now sit in third in the Premier League table, with 41 points from 19 games. Chelsea are a point ahead in second with 42, whilst Liverpool top the league with 46. Both Liverpool and Chelsea have played two games more than United.

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 pm