Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Carrick: Chelsea’s Premier League Dominance Is Over

FooSe
    FooSe
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Michael Carrick: Chelsea’s Premier League Dominance Is Over Empty Michael Carrick: Chelsea’s Premier League Dominance Is Over

Post by FooSe Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:54 am

Michael Carrick is in bullish mood ahead of today's clash with Chelsea at Old Trafford. 

Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick believes that his side’s double winning campaign last season has put an end to Chelsea’s dominance.

Following the arrival of Roman Abramovich at Stamford Bridge, the Blues looked set to rule the Premier League after winning two consecutive league titles. 

However, United beat them to the title last campaign to retain their trophy and also defeated them in the Champions League final, which Carrick believes has put paid to Chelsea’s hopes of monopolising English football.

Speaking to Inside United, the club’s official magazine, he said, “The first Premier League trophy probably surprised a few people because everyone expected Chelsea to go on and win it again but I think we have put that to bed now!

“It was tough for us to break Chelsea’s stranglehold on the league. I think we started the season unbelievably well and really put pressure on them from the start.”

Carrick insisted that the Red Devils’ flying start to the season was key in keeping Chelsea at bay and going on to claim glory.

“I think that gave everyone here at United belief we could win it again,” he explained.

“But we won the league and that was important, because it marked the end of Chelsea’s dominance.”

The European champions have suffered a slower start to their current campaign and currently sit eight points behind leaders Liverpool, albeit with three games in hand.

The England international warned rivals Chelsea and Liverpool that he expected to be further behind them at this stage, and that the current mood in the United camp is good. 

“If I was in their shoes I’d want to be as far ahead as I possibly could be,” admitted Carrick.

“At this stage of the season we could have been a lot further behind than we are. I think we’ve very positive at the moment. It’s now up to us to take advantage and get the right results.

“We know we’re still behind and we can’t afford many slip-ups but we’ve very positive for the rest of the season.”

Sir Alex Ferguson’s men welcome Chelsea to Old Trafford this afternoon knowing that a win will move them to within one point of the Blues.

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:12 pm