Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cerezo Has Confidence In Atlético Madrid Squad

FooSe
    FooSe
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

Cerezo Has Confidence In Atlético Madrid Squad Empty Cerezo Has Confidence In Atlético Madrid Squad

Post by FooSe Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 am

Los Colchoneros chief, Enrique Cerezo has come out to voice his support for the squad after a torrid start to 2009.

After slumping to successive 3-1 defeats to kick-off the New Year, Atlético Madrid’s sensational finish to 2008 has almost completely become a distant memory.

Fans have quickly turned against coach, Javier Aguirre, as they call for him to be sacked, while captain Maxi Rodríguez yesterday lambasted the team’s attitude following the home loss to Barcelona in the Copa del Rey.

But the club’s president, Enrique Cerezo has done his best to calm down the situation as he gave his backing to Aguirre and his troops.

“I respect the decisions that the coach makes and I will not talk about sacking him. He fights just like all the players do in each and every game and he is always going for the win,” Cerezo said during an interview with Radio Marca program, ‘Intermedio’.

In response to Maxi’s declarations that the team simply did not show enough respect for Barça, the supremo said bluntly: “Maybe it’s true that some players did not run enough during the game, because it’s clear that if you do not run, then you do not win.

“I think the result was fair. But if we had tied the game at 2-2, I am sure that we could have won it because this team has a lot of fight.”

Like Aguirre, Cerezo refused to believe that the Copa del Rey are all but over for Los Colchoneros.

“Barcelona know how to play good football, but sometimes they also play poorly. I hope that [next] Wednesday is one of those times and we can go on and win at the Camp Nou.

“What is certain is that we are not going to throw in the towel… not in the Copa, Liga or the Champions League,” he concluded.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 pm